Subscribe
RHS Main Phone: (469) 593-3000

Friday Rehearsal UPDATE, Fall Premiere Details, Primary vs Secondary Marchers Explained

Good evening GEB,

As mentioned at the end of our rehearsal today, the schedule for tomorrow will the same as it was last week during the full days.

7:30 AM – 11:30 AM: Marching Rehearsal
11:30 AM – 1:00 PM: Lunch
1:00 PM – 5:30 PM: Music Rehearsal
5:45 PM – 6:30 PM: Last Band Registration Make-Up Day (if needed)

As a friendly reminder, the Fall Premiere performance will start @ 10:30 AM in the auditorium (call time for students is 9:00 AM). The students will premier the music to the 2018 Marching Show “Danza de la Rosa” along with several RHS fan favorite pep tunes. There will also be a parent meeting.

DUE TO CONSTRUCTION AT RHS, WE WILL NOT HAVE ACCESS TO THE AUDITORIUM FOYER. PLEASE COME THROUGH THE GLASS DOORS IN E-HALL; BATHROOMS WILL BE OPENED IN B-HALL. HANDICAP ACCESS IS STILL AVAILABLE THROUGH THE AUDITORIUM SIDE DOORS.

Details for students are below:

Event: 2018 RHS Band Fall Premiere?Date: Saturday, August 18th?Call Time: 9:00 AM (students)?Location: RHS Auditorium
Performance Time: 10:30 AM (family and friends)
Equipment: Make sure you have your instrument/flag and flip folder with all of the pep tunes.

Attire:

Band
GEB “Danza de La Rosa” Show Shirt
Jeans
Tennis Shoes

Color guard
Purple tanks
Black Leggings

Primary vs. Secondary Marchers

The band staff has been evaluating ALL of the students in their playing/marching through June Camp, 9th Grade Camp and Full Band Camp. With that said, there will be about 20-25 students (typically 9th graders) who will be in a non-marching position in the show. Other consideration includes: attendance, punctuality and work ethic. The marching show is composed of many spots on the field including:

1) Front Ensemble
2) Battery
3) Props
4) Marching Brass
5) Marching Woodwinds
6) Conducting
7) Sound Manager
8) Soloists

I cannot stress the importance of each one of these areas and every student will participate in some way, shape or form at games and during marching competitions (as long as they are passing their classes, of course). They will also participate in the stands, at pep rallies, parades, etc. during the marching season.

The props enhance the visual portion of our show, and as mentioned, some of the students will be assigned to these spots in the drill. There are 30 panels (props) in our show. Until a decision is made during the first week of school, students will be working towards a marching spot. Should a student earn a prop spot, they will also be designated as a secondary marcher. The secondary marcher will help with props at all games and competitions with the exemption of two games, where they will have the opportunity to march and have that experience to be ready for their sophomore, junior and/or senior year:

Game #2 – September 7th
Game #9 – November 2nd

Parents – every band program has secondary marchers and just because a student may not have a primary marching spot this year, it does not mean they will not get one the rest of their high school career. 98% of the students who were a secondary marcher last year, are now in a primary spot; the other 2% are sophomores.

Please think of the marching production as a musical – there will always be the lead roles, BUT then there is also the chorus, light managers, sound managers, make-up crew, tech designers, props, etc. Everyone is important to the overall product!

If you have any questions, please feel free to email me (jesus.marquez@risd.org) or I can answer questions in person after the Fall Premiere on Saturday.

Thank you,

Mr. Marquez

User Login

RABC Documents

RABC Accounting

CHARMS

CHARMS has music and documents that students will need. You may also see a calender for your students band events.

Login